Monday, March 7, 2011

Spring Refashion - From Onesies to Shirts

Aren't all of these tops just too cute?!?!  All of these, plus a few more that are not pictured, were originally onesies that I refashioned into shirts!  This project included 9 onesies and took about 2 hours to complete ALL of them!! (which means it took about 10 to 15 minutes for each one!!  VERY EASY!!)

On all of the onesies I used my rotary cutter to cut off the onesies just above the bottom binding, as seen in the picture below.

There were a couple that were long enough at that point so I just did a rolled hem at the bottom edge with my serger and called it good enough!  I didn't get pictures of these since they were just a simple cut and hem.

But most of them were a bit short so they needed a length added to them.

On most of those I did a lettuce edge at the bottom of the cut off onesie and then added a gathered ruffle (made from strips of old t-shirts of mine).  I top stitched the onesie to the ruffle to give a cute layored effect.


There were a couple that put a double layer of ruffles behind the onesie!  I really liked the look of these!

On one of the onesies I sewed the ruffled extension to the bottom instead of layering it (mainly because I was being lazy at that point and did not want to change my serger thread from the pink that was in it for the other shirts...and this shirt had no pink).  But I still think it turned out cute like this as well.
And then I had one onesie that I instead of putting a ruffle at the bottom I used the bottom of another shirt that was too short to extend the length.  And I cut out the flower detail that was at the top of the other shirt and sewed it to the top of this shirt.  It turned out to be a fun little shirt!  (I also used the method of doing a lettuce edge at the bottom of the cut onesie and sewing the extension behind it for the layered effect)

I love now quick and easy these came together!!  In two hours Alyssa had 9 new shirts that fit!!!  :-) (and look adorable as well!!)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...