Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Another dress for Vegas!!

Ok, remember that blue knit fabric with the white stars all over that I told you about yesterday??

Well, I decided what I wanted to make with it last night and tackled it this morning after our school time!  I decided to try the one hour dress tutorial that I found online.  It took me a little under 1.5 hours to make it!  It was very simple to make and now that I know what I am doing I know I can do it again in an hour or less!

Here is the finished dress in the two belts I thought I would try to use with it.  I couldn't decide what looked best but I am really leaning towards the black belt.



I definitely want to try this pattern again!  But when I do I am going to make some changes.  I followed the tutorial pretty much to the letter this time around but next time I am going to do a few things different.

1.  The tutorial says to make the left shoulder (as you are viewing the front of the dress) side 3 inches in length.  Well I felt this was too short after I finished.  In fact if you look at the picture of the dress on the tutorial page it is obvious that dress has more than a 3 inch length on that left shoulder.  I believe it needs to be the same 6 inch length that you gather the right shoulder side up to.  Thankfully the dress looks ok with kind of a aysmetrical look of the two shoulders being different lengths, but I really think it would look better if they were the same length (more like what they are in th picture on the tutorial).

2. I will not make my neck hole as wide.  This came from my A measurement I had that you make from shoulder to shoulder.  I need to go a couple inches smaller next time and I will be happier with the neckline.

But all in all I am happy with the dress.  It really does have a bit of a different look when worn than it does on the dress form.  I just don't know how to get pictures of myself in the dress to get a good picture to put on here.  I tried and it didn't work...I am a sewer, not a photographer.

Note:  This is definitely a dress that needs a belt to make it look right!  I would never wear this dress without the belt, LOL!  I felt like I was in a moo-moo! LOL!

But the dress is very comfortable!  I love the material and feel I will get a lot of wear out of this dress this spring and summer.  I am ready to go fabric shopping and find some more material to make another one!!

3 comments:

  1. Really Cute! What a fun, playful dress. Just found your blog for the first time... great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that only took you an hour and a half! I love it and I do like the black belt with it even though it is blue. Nowadays you can match any colors it seems. Have fun wearing it! And thanks for linking!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fabric and great job on the dress! Have a fun time in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...