Thursday, February 24, 2011

For the Love of Pink!

Well I made a top today!!  I wanted to make a top out of some hot pink satin that I had left over and thought I would start on it today.  I did not think I would actually get it finished today!!  This was such an easy top!!

(OMG! please don't look in the mirror in the picture!  I need to stop sewing and clean my room!)

I actually started out making a top using this video tutorial.  I was at the point to folding my longer piece in fourth's and then cutting the curve.  When I unfolded the rectangle, this is what it produced.


Umm..that's not right...obviously I folded it into thirds and not fourths - UGH!!!  Well, I didn't have enough fabric to make another piece so I had to come up with something different.

Well I remembered I had some satin blanket binding that was about the same color as this fabric.  So I quickly figured it would look cute to square off this piece to make it the same length as the other piece I had cut and just have it squared (I guess that's the right term) all the way around.  And since the blanket binding was wide it would also make nice wide straps as well.  And this binding was a lot easier to work with than the bias tape would have been!

So I sewed my sides together.  Instead of hemming the bottom I just did a serged edge in black thread.  I really liked how that looked when I did it!!

Then I cut a piece of blanket binding the size of my chest measurement, plus a little for the lap over.  I marked the quarter points on it and pleated my bodice piece to match up with the binding.  I placed the binding over the top edge of the bodice and topstitched around the bottom of the binding, making sure to catch the backside of the binding as well.

I measured out my straps and pinned them where I wanted them on the shirt.  I decided to use one of my decorative stitches on my machine to tack the straps on, and decided to go all the way around the top of the binding with this decorative stitch.


This top is really cute with a black cardigan, and of course a belt!  :-)


It is also very cute without the belt but just tucked into a pair of black slacks, but I didn't get a picture of that.

I couldn't believe how fast this shirt came together!  I am going to have to write this "pattern" down and try it again someday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...